Office for Academic and Student Services (OASS)
Alternative Teacher Certification
Students who hold a bachelor’s degree may seek alternative teacher certification through the State of Florida Bureau of Educator Certification
Complete the following steps:
- Apply to the state for certification: http://www.fldoe.org/edcert/ The state will send you a Statement of Eligibility
- Schedule a Subject Area Exam if indicated on your Statement of Eligibility: Florida Teacher Certification Exams: http://www.fl.nesinc.com/
- Complete additional requirements listed on your Statement of Eligibility. The following
are some of the options that are available for the Professional Education Courses:
- Course by Course - student registers for FAU courses independently and is responsible for cost of tuition & books - student should apply as a non-degree seeking student (fau.edu/registrar/pdf/Non_Degree_Enrollment.pdf) and register for appropriate courses according to their Statement of Eligibility. Professional education courses designed to address requirements on Florida Department of Education Statement of Eligibility.
- Teaching and Leadership Center - www.broward.k12.fl.us/talentdevelopment/html/tlc/tlc.html
for application procedures for free programs to earn your professional certificate. The TLC program is currently for full-time teachers in Broward with a temporary certificate and prospective math and science teachers.