About FAU Center for Autism & Related Disorders
Who We Are
FAU CARD is a community-based program providing assistance and supports to people with autism spectrum disorder and related disabilities, their families, the professionals serving them, employers and the community. FAU CARD was established and funded by the Florida Legislature through a grant through the Florida Department of Education to provide free services and supports to eligible constituents throughout our five-county service area: Indian River, Martin, Okeechobee, Palm Beach and St. Lucie.
Who We Serve
CARD serves individuals of any age, diagnosed with one of the following:
- Autism Spectrum Disorders (Levels 1-3)
- Autistic Disorder
- Asperger Syndrome
- Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified (PDD-NOS)
- Rett Syndrome
- Childhood Disintegrative Disorder (CDD)
- Dual Sensory Impairment or Deaf-Blind
- Sensory Impairment with another disabling condition
- Family members, friends, professionals, employers, and community and governmental agencies may also receive FAU CARD's free services
What We Do
Our work centers on building the capacity of families, schools, businesses and other community agencies to better prepare and support people with autism and related disabilities. We address issues that impact people across the lifespan thru the following services:
- Direct assistance to people with autism and similar disabilities and their families
- Consultation and assistance with schools and other community agencies
- Trainings for family members
- Professional development for teachers and other professionals
- Support groups for people with autism and related disabilities and their family members
- Community education
- Develop and disseminate information and materials
- Provide referrals to other community agencies
- Regularly publish and disseminate newsletters and emails
- Supporting businesses working with individuals with Autism
- And much more!
What We Don’t Do
It is important to recognize that there are some activities beyond the scope of our work. These include the following:
- We are not a treatment provider. FAU CARD and its staff members do not provide direct therapy to children or adults.
- FAU CARD and its staff members do not provide assessment, testing, or diagnostic services. (There are many agencies and individual practitioners that provide this service, and we can provide you with a referral to help you locate those professionals.)
- We do not provide advocacy services. However, if you are in need of such services, we can provide you a referral to several groups specializing in advocacy.